As a new feature in IBM Domino Feature Pack 8 (FP8) for IBM Domino 9.0.1 is that you can move the view indexes outside the NSF.
View indexes and Full Text Indexes are data derived from the "core" data, the documents in the database.
This means they can always be rebuilt, if you have the data in the documents.
Benefits from moving view index outside NSF:
1) A smaller database file size, to avoid reaching the 64GB limitation.
2) Faster database backup and restore.
3) Better performance by allowing concurrent access to database and views.
1) Very important when having large databases with many documents. View indexes can easily take up many GB.
Use the Administrator "Manage Views" to see the view sizes in the databases
2) I use DomBackup (Openntf) which is very fast and does not care about indexes,
3) Updating view locks views so this is a very nice and important enhancement
How to enable
To enable moving view indexes outside NSF is very simple and need just a few steps.
1) You must run Feature Pack 8 (FP8)
2) Set parameter NIFNSFEnable=1 in Notes.ini and restart server.
3) Make sure you have transactional logging enabled on server and ODS is minimum 51
4) To enable the feature for a database you need to compact it with the parameters: "load compact -c -nifnsf on databasename.nsf"
It will the create an index file with the extension .ndx
This from a database I have enabled the feature for.
I have had no issues so far.
What about ACL, Readers? I asked IBM this in a Q&A and they told me that the view data was encrypted
There are other features like moving the index to another folder etc.
Have a look here https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSKTMJ_9.0.1/admin/admn_moving_views_out_of_databases.html
Posted on 03/13/2017 01:53:03 PM CET